Wednesday, April 15, 2009

He is just not that into you : a review

I wanted to watch this movie because I saw the trailer with Drew Barrymore, Scarlett Johansson, Jennifer Connelly and Jennifer Aniston and thought to myself, wow, this movie must be serious. I mean, a chick flick which has just a hint of comedy that try to get the message to the masses about how NOT to act when you are dating.

Boy, was I wrong. I should have known when I saw Drew Barrymore. She is a producer nowadays, if you don't know. And being producer (think Tom Cruise) you will try to make the story appeal to you. Thank God that she did not try to get into every frame like that OTHER producer but I should have known the word 'cute' will be all over the movie or maybe more like the word, cliche is better to define the movie. But, if a word can sum up the reaction of the moviegoers in that theatre that day, which was full of expatriates, for some reason or another (maybe the theater was in the middle of Kuala Lumpur at its affluent shopping district), the word is CRINGE...

The movie makes you cringe when all the mistakes that you ever done in dating are shown to you under the microscope. I never read the novel which seems to be written by a man and a woman. Maybe they know how the dating game is played. Interspersed with real life interviews but ended with all the movie couples (and singles) at the end of the movie, it does give you realism but the trying to hard to make things go better still make the movie a bit unreal.

I think some of the actors should just stick to what their do best. Like Scarlett Johansson should  just stick to action movie as she was cast as a femme fatale here but it just did not work...

In short, the movie was nice but there was no umphh... at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment