Went on a trip to Jakarta. Did so many things but what I enjoyed most were the eating and the drink.
Let me list how many things I ate here (those I took picture of) :
1) Nasi padang at Garuda Restoran (which is much like the mamak shop in Malaysia) which you can eat 24 hours a day and is at every corner of Jakarta. They serve it by bringing all the dishes at once and you eat only those you want. They will also only charge you for dishes you've eaten.
|All these were served to four diners|
|All these were served for one diner|
2) Nasi Goreng Komplit at Waroeng Kopi (which is like a high-end kopitiam which you can find in many parts of Malaysia)
3) Nasi Goreng Kambing (Lamb fried rice) and Sate Kambing at Kebun Sireh. Jakarta street food at its best complete with buskers to entertain you. The best after-hour food in town :
4) Nasi goreng buntut and nasi with sup buntut (the buntut refer to the tail part of the cow) at Canteen, a shop behind the bookshop Aksara in eX Mall.
5) Then I also tried a cheese burger from Burger Spot in eX Mall where the patty is made fresh. However, I tasted a better burger where the patty is made fresh in stall in Bandung at a place called Mr. Moo Burger.
6) And of course, I just had to try the Kopi Luwak which is made popular by Oprah and seen in the film The Bucket List where the drink is known as poo of the civet cats which can be found in Sumatra and other parts of Indonesia. Kopi Luwak now has a cafe called Kopi Luwak cafe and is sold quite extensively at the airport which you can buy as you are flying off. I now understand why it is so popular as you cannot really taste the acidity like any normal coffee but coffee addict like me feel drinking kopi luwak is like drinking Nescafe (as one my neighbour puts it as we were talking about it). The price per cup? Around RM24 to RM30 (USD8 - USD10) and per packet, it is between USD50 - USD75 per 100grams depending on whether it is Arabica or Robusta.
|At the Kopi Luwak cafe in Plaza Indonesia|
|At Caswell's Fine Coffees and Teas in Terminal 2 of Soekarno-Hatta Airport, Jakarta|