Tuesday, December 23, 2008

'Old' friends

I befriend persons older than me quite easily. I have 2 friends, who can be considered quite close, who are more than 50 years old. One is even 70 years old. One year younger than my father. Both are politicians and I know a few things about them which they would only tell me about (and a few other 'trusted' advisors).

Anyway, I have known these friends for quite some times and the questions that they asked me were sometimes damn weird. Some of these questions have to do with their children who are as old as me! They would be offended if they know their fathers asked me something about what they have done or are doing. It was weird for me too.

As I posted once, I also have a problem about the titles that the children of these friends use to call me with(read it here http://howmanthink.blogspot.com/2008/11/cik-puan-cik-puan.html). In this modern time, being older by 5 to 6 years will earn you a name without any title in front or at least a "Abang" for brother but not an Encik or Mr. I told them that I'm nearly the same age bracket like you and not as old as your dad but they still keep at it. What to do. That's one of the price I have to pay I guess.

Both know my parents and one is even my father's friend when they were schooling together in the good old day. During certain days, I have to bear with their sickness. During those times I have to hear what caused the ailment that they suffered. I also have cordial relationship with their wives but just enough so that I don't really have to deal with their attitudes although to tell the truth, both lack them. On certain days, I do think about their mortality, if they go first before me, and how I am going to deal with it.

Maybe its just not that important as the wealth of information I gained from just talking with them are just amazing. They had been everywhere and they know so many people. They also inspired me to do a lot of things as one of them is still studying in a local university just for the sake of studying. That's the good part of befriending them...

No comments:

Post a Comment