Wednesday, September 1, 2010

How to cure fear of flight



My wife is afraid to fly though she has been on a flight alone from Malaysia to Frankfurt, Germany in 2005 all by herself. Thanks to me who was trying to cure her of flying. She is still afraid to fly and each time we are on a plane (which is every other month as we travel a lot), she will hold my hand and grip it really tight.

Meiying is on the let, seen here with Jerine

So, I did not take the offer by Meiying, a social media friend, who told me maybe I wanted to take my wife on a small plane flight all over KL for our anniversary. I told her again the same thing when I met her at the Social Media Club KL 2 weeks ago. However, she still invited me for a flight session with Reuben Lim who wants to create awareness for KL by Air which is offering these flights at affordable price. So, casually, I mentioned the invite to my wife, Nani, who immediately said "Yes!", without waiting for me to finish the sentence. It was kind of a surprise for me as she was so enthusiastic about it. I know I should have asked her earlier before we celebrated our anniversary but it is better late than never right?

Next thing I know, here are some pictures and videos to tell the story (notice that my wife is sitting in front, all excited and now she wants to do it all over again) :

The entrance to Sg. Besi Airport (it is a TUDM base)
Our fellow fliers that day (the excited looking girl is Claudia)
As it was near Merdeka day, flags were all over Royal Selangor Flying Club
Meeting Reuben for the first time (the guy in blue)
Nani and Jerine in the inside of RSFC
Signing our lives away to Reuben

Walking to the plane

The Cessna that we flew on

A still excited Claudia (she looked very different climbing down, whiter actually)

Reuben briefing us on the safety requirements

When it was our turn, Nani bravely sit at the front

Jerine and I were at the back

Some view from the plabe

Our lives in Nani's hands for about 30 seconds



Batu Caves

Safe landing

Here are some videos of our flight. The take-off (from inside the plane), the stunt that Reuben did (look out for Nani's scream near the end) and the smooth landing.


 
 
Here are some other blog posts by Meiying and Jerine about the flight :
 
If you want more information, you can contact Reuben at le.aviateur@gmail.com or KL by Air Facebook page. Basically, their charges is RM600 per hour (our flight was just 20 minutes) if you fly using a Cessna (from Sg. Besi) or RM1000 per hour if by CR22 (from Subang airport).
 

1 comment: